Tuesday, December 20, 2005

My take on the strike here in NYC

Well its 4:12 AM right now in New York City and the T.W.U. have gone on strike shutting down all city busses and subways.

Now I'm all for fair wages and benefits, but the T.W.U. can take a long walk off a short pier for all I care. If this were Summer a walk out might not be so bad. But its 23 degrees out right now and with the wind in this city, walking will not be pleasant.

My brother has a final to take and he wants to walk from here to his school on the edge of Coney Island which is 5 Miles from here. What about the people who live in Queens and The Bronx who have to get to midtown Manhattan?

I think the state should step in and simply do what Ronald Reagan did with all the Air Traffic Controllers who went on strike.

Fire every striking bus driver, train motorman, conductor, token booth clerk, and any other job you can think of. It's a fair offer. If you come back to work, no harm no foul. If you dont then your out on your ass.

Like I said, the busses and subways are vital to this city. This city is going to grind to a hault with out it. Now if the first plan is to harsh, there's another solution.

Say it with me...They're called Scabs.

Have MTA Management, National Guard troops, State Police...what ever. Let the TWU strike, but that's no reason to stop the busses and trains.

And don't think for a second if your reading this that i'm on the MTA's side. They are equally as guilty in this mess. They should have just bit the bullet and came to a number that would keep these guys happy. I think they wanted 24% over 3 years...well give them 15%. It's better then the 9% I think they were offering to begin with.

All I know is this. It's going to be bitterly cold around here and the people of this city should not have to freeze their ass off just because a bunch of morons couldn't come to an agreement.

Sorry I was rambling a bit. It is almost 4:30 in the morning after all. Point is if they wont go back to work then we shouldnt have to suffer because of it.

No comments: