Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Just a sad day yesterday

You know not much shocks me anymore, but the mass killing at Virginia Tech yesterday really did floor me. I always joked that one day someone would top Columbine but I never honestly thought it would be anything like this. I mean in Iraq 40 or 50 people die like this any given day. But killing on this scale in one spot just doesn't happen in this country. Sure murder rates are high...but still we don't have people killing on this scale.

Now what's annoying me is yesterday Jack Thompson was on Fox News (I know, I know) and it was barely a few hours after the shootings and there he is on the phone pushing his agenda of "Oh well the violent video games...". We don't know any of the facts and there he is saying Grand Theft Auto probably played a role. I play Grand Theft Auto and go on killing spree's for fun in the game. But that doesn't mean just cause I play the game that I have the know how and the will to do it for real.

People need to understand that sometimes people are just sick in the head. Being a sociopath comes to mind and so far what they've said on the news about the shooter, he was a disturbed person. Well things build and build and if you don't have that little voice in your head that says don't do it then eventually you say to yourself why not and lets do it. Supposedly this all started cause he might have thought his girlfriend was cheating on him. Well the big issue here is he killed two people at 7 am and the administration at Virgina Tech didn't shut down the campus.

They should have shut down the campus right then and there and told everyone to go home. All those kids were sitting ducks in those classes. Some say they couldn't possibly evacuate the campus or close it down. That's a load of crap. School security is not nearly inept as one would imagine they are in this case. I remember when I was going to BMCC, it had to be in early 2001 when I was in the video lab working on a video when all of a sudden the alarms went off and they said evacuate the building. Now granted there were something like 5000 people going out two stair cases, but they evacuated the entire building in like 10 mins. If I remember apparently there was some sort of chemical spill near the financial aid office. A cleaner probably dropped some ammonia or something but someone freaked and they evacuated the whole damn building.

I think if my old school could evacuate over 5,000 people in 10 minutes then VT could have secured a campus of over 26,000 in maybe an hour.

All I know is I'm not jumping to conclusions about WHAT caused this guy to do what he did. It was obviously premeditated because you don't load up with that much ammo just to kill one person. But we can't go blaming video games or violent music or the gun laws. All we can hope is one this guy is burning the deepest and hottest fires of hell and two the warning signs are seen and something like this never happens again.

No comments: